Skip to content ↓
Feel Amazing In Respectful Fairfield
Inspiring and Encouraging
Learning and Development


What time does school start and finish? 

School drop off is between 8.50am - 9.00am daily when the bell is rung in the playground for children to line up in their classes.
School finishes at 3.30pm daily. 

What happens if my child is ill or late? 

If your child is ill they need to stay at home. You must call the school office on 02920 709035 to inform the school.  If your child is late arriving at school, please come directly to the school office.

What if my child needs medicine in school? 

If your child needs to take medicine in school you must give the Headteacher a completed form (Request for School to Administer Medication), which can be obtained from the school office. This is a written request detailing the medication to be given along with the frequency, dosage and any other relevant information obtained from healthcare professionals.
The medicine should be clearly labelled with:

  • the child’s name
  • the name of the medicine
  • the method, dosage and timing of administration (e.g. lunch time, between 12.00 and 13.00)
  • directions for use
  • the date of issue
  • the expiry date, if known
  • the length of treatment or stop date, where appropriate.

Can my child be taken on holiday during term time? 

Children will not be given permission for holidays during term time.

What should my child wear to school? 

Fairfield School has a uniform for daily wear, along with a PE kit. 

Uniform with the school badge can be purchased from A Class Apart, 9, The Parade, Dinas Powys (please click here to view their website). 

Further guidance can be found in the prospectus.  The school colour is red.


What kind of food is served for school dinners? 

The Catering is provided by the Big Fresh Catering Company. The menus provide a healthy, nutritious and balanced meal for your child, fully complying with the Government’s Nutritional Standards. Provision is made for children who require special diets or who are vegetarians.  To view the current primary school menu please visit the school meals page on the Big Fresh Catering website - click here.

How do I arrange for my child to have school dinners? 

A dinner register is called by the class teacher every morning to ask children whether they are having a school dinner or packed lunch.
All primary aged children in Wales are entitled to a daily free school meal funded funded by the Welsh Government. 

What can my child take for packed lunch? 

Please give children a healthy and balanced meal with a drink, but no sweets or chocolate bars. No glass bottles, and no fizzy drinks please. Packed lunches should be in a container that is clearly marked with your child’s name.

Will my child be expected to do homework? 

Yes, homework is provided every Friday on Google Classroom. Fairfield has a homework policy, which you can view online on our policy documents page or by asking for a paper copy through the office.

How can I find out about my child’s progress at school? 

We will send you a report every July, towards the end of the academic year. You will also have regular meetings with your child’s teacher at Parents’ Evenings throughout the year. You can make an appointment to see your child’s class teacher at other times, if you have concerns.
If your child has Additional Learning Needs you will also have regular meetings with your child’s class teacher and the Additional Learning Needs Coordinator.

What can my child take into school? 

Your child does not need to bring any toys or resources into school unless requested by their teacher.

What kind of rules will my child be expected to follow? 

Fairfield has a behaviour policy that all children and staff must follow. Children are expected to behave in a kind and respectful way to ensure that learning and enjoyment takes place at Fairfield.

Will my child go on any organised trips? 

Save Classes may go on trips to support the work they are doing in the classroom. We ask for parents’ permission to take children on trips and also for a voluntary contribution towards the costs.